New Student Enrollment

2021-2022 Enrollment

We are not accepting applications for the 2021-2022 school year. Please do not complete a S.C.O.R.E. application for the 2021-2022 school year. An announcement will be made when the S.C.O.R.E. portal is open for the 2021-2022 school year.

-posted 02-04-2020

2021-2022 Kindergarten Pre-Enrollment

Kindergarten pre-enrollment will be held online April 7 and 8, 2021.

Kindergarten Pre-Enrollment Flyer - English version  Pre-Matricula Para Kinder - versión en español

Enroll/Transfer - If your child did not attend a Shelby County School last year, they are considered a New Student. Students transferring into Shelby County Schools must be in good standing with their prior school. Shelby County Schools will honor all behavior dispositions a student may have with a previously enrolled school. Shelby County Schools will follow all Alabama High School Athletic Association rules and regulations regarding transfer students.

Register/Transfer - If your child attended any Shelby County School last year and completed the full school year, please refer to the Returning Student Registration portion of this website. Parents who plan to transfer their child from one Shelby County school to another, should confirm that they are eligible to attend the new school before completing registration forms.

If you have additional questions about the enrollment process you may contact Student Services Department or the individual school Registrar, Principal, or Counselor.

Other Resources

Student Services Department   School Directory

Important! Please read the instructions below carefully.

Step 1 - Age Requirements

To enroll in Kindergarten, a child must be 5 years of age on or before September 2 of the enrolling school year.

To enroll in First Grade, a child must be 6 years of age on or before December 31 of the enrolling school year (Alabama Code 16-28-4). Any questions regarding this state law can be directed to the Instructional Department, Elementary Coordinator at 205-682-7000.

PARENTS - When filling out enrollment forms, it is very important you use your child's name as it appears on the Birth Certificate.

Step 2 - Check Residency & School Zone

Due to concerns with COVID-19 and understanding that parents have varying opinions about their children attending school at this time for in-person instruction, Shelby County Schools is providing the following learning options for the 20-21 SY for students who currently reside in one of the seven communities zoned for the Shelby County School District:

  • Traditional- On Campus Learning- Students will report to the school campus daily.
  • Remote- At-home Learning- Students will participate in all courses through a virtual format.

In order for a student to be enrolled in the Shelby County School District, and participate in one of the learning options, based on School Board Policy 6.1.2, the student must attend school in the zone in which they reside with a parent or legal guardian. Custody awarded through the court is a requirement for school enrollment. Students are not permitted to be a remote learner and reside outside of the Shelby County School District.

You may view the current bus routes by using the link below. If you have a question regarding your specific residence and which school zone you are in, you may call Brent Copes at 205-682-7132.

View School Bus Route Maps

Bus Transportation Form

Note: If the student is currently staying in someone else’s home temporarily or living in transitional housing (such as a shelter, motel, campground, abandoned building, vehicle, etc.) due to an economic hardship or unexpected life event, please contact the registrar at the school for which you are enrolling for possible additional enrollment assistance. If you have specific questions about the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, please contact Beth Fuller, Shelby County Schools McKinney-Vento Liaison, at 205-682-7072,

Step 3 - Gather Required Information & Documentation

In order to enroll a student, you must bring certain required documentation to the school.

List of Specific Requirements
Documentos Necesarios Para La Inscripción De Estudiantes

Step 4 - Complete Enrollment Forms

You may complete forms using our Shelby County Online Registration and Enrollment (S.C.O.R.E.) Program  via computer, tablet or smart phone. The link to S.C.O.R.E, as well as instructions on how to use the program, can be found below. If you prefer, If you are unable to submit your forms online, please contact the school for more information.

How to Use S.C.O.R.E.
Instrucciones para Padres/Tutores - Estudiante Nuevo

  • For technical assistance with S.C.O.R.E. please contact your local school.
  • NOTE: This program is not recommended for use with Internet Explorer 11 and lower or Safari 9 and lower.


Step 5 - Upload Documents

Parents will be able to scan or photograph and upload the required enrollment documents (see step 3) in S.C.O.R.E. The school will verify that your child is eligible to enroll and direct you to additional forms which may be completed online or on paper. These forms are school specific and, therefore, cannot be completed in advance.

Step 6 - Special Services

If the student needs special services, the parent should notify the school counselor. These may include Gifted Education, an Accommodation Plan, a 504 Plan, English Language Learner services, or Special Education Services.

Health Certificates

Every student wishing to enroll into the Shelby County School System must present a certificate of immunization or a medical or religious exemption.

Shelby County Schools Listserv - Be informed and join your school's listserv to receive email updates of events and important information from your school.

Complete the membership request form