In December of 2010, the SCBOE purchased the Shelby Academy Campus and began renovations for the new Calera Middle School. In the Fall of 2012, Calera Middle opened its doors at the new campus. Calera Middle School serves students from the Calera area in grades 6 - 8.
Originally, “schools” in Calera were located in homes and were conducted by the town’s educated adults. The first public high school was organized in 1885, but it lacked steady financial support. The county board built a building for Calera’s public school, grades one through twelve, in 1927.