WebSETSMake sure to complete forms as well as the process. Only open needed processes.
Before a referral is accepted for a reading concern a student must receive instruction in a researched based reading program for a minimum of one semester and show little to no progress in that program. It is good practice to try more than one program if the first program does not show improvement.
There are many types of assistive technologies being used throughout the system. They range from a pencil grips to personal word processors. The need for assistive technology needs to be a team decision and will be based on the student’s individual needs. If you feel that one of your students may require assistive technology please consult with your program specialist or IEP team.
If you have equipment that is not being utilized please return it to Special Services.
Transfers Out of County:
- Call previous school to request records and verify student’s eligibility/services.
- Have parent sign Temporary Placement, and Special Ed. Rights. If the student is a transfer within the state of Alabama you do not have to do a temporary IEP, you may use what is already written until after eligibility is completed
- Place student on next REM. Have a referral form filled out (you will have to open the referral process to complete this one form) for the meeting. Also complete the parent interview prior to the meeting. Bring any previous records that are available along with work samples to the REM meeting. It is a good idea to fill in the REM forms if any testing information is available. Further testing may not be necessary and the process can be completed in one meeting
Transfers within the system:
- Once a child transfers and is enrolled your SETS manager can go into the system and transfer the student to your caseload. It is not necessary to bring them up at REM, unless they are due for a reevaluation.
Schedule reevaluations at least two months prior to their due dates. Bring the students previous REM forms along with current work samples, grades, state testing, etc. If no further testing is needed then the team will sign the notice regarding reevaluation and the process will be completed. If new testing is needed the team will sign the notice regarding reevaluation and the parent will sign consent for reevaluation. A second meeting will be scheduled. Complete testing and fill out REM forms prior to the meeting.
Once a referral has been accepted and assigned to your caseload it is your responsibility to complete the necessary paperwork and testing. Make sure that consent for testing is signed before beginning to test. A child must pass vision and hearing before going further with any other testing. Complete the required testing and fill out the REM forms prior to the next meeting. Make sure current grades, attendance, and work samples are included on the forms.
If you have any questions please contact your psychometrist or program specialist.
These are some of the programs that are being used throughout the system. If you are thinking of using something not included on the list make certain it is researched based.
- SRA Reading Mastery
- SRA Corrective Reading
- Open Court
- Read 180
- Orton Gillingham
- A +
- McGraw Hill
- Teach Math
- Touch Math
- Voyager Math(VMath)
- Fast Math
- SRA Connecting Math Concepts
- A +