Montevallo Elementary School began as a small wooden structure built by the citizens of Montevallo in 1906. This building was located at the site of what is today the "Alice Boyd" building which sits on the campus of Montevallo High School. In 1915, a brick house replaced the wooden structure. From 1915-1938, third, fourth, fifth and sixth grades were housed in this structure referred to as the "Old Elementary" building, now known as the Building. An annex was built for grades K-2.
The Jeter Building is now a part of the University of Montevallo campus. Its K-2 annex burned in 1938. During the 1938-1939 school year classes were held in the Sunday School rooms of the Methodist Church. The "Alice Boyd" building was completed in September 1939 and served as the elementary school until 1964.
The present site for Montevallo Elementary School is located across Main Street from the old sites. It is flanked by the high school football field and the municipal park. The Parnell Memorial Library is directly across the street. Additions to the building were added starting with a new classroom wing in the early 1970's and a gymnasium in the mid '70's. In 1986, another classroom wing was added to house the Kindergarten classes. In 1990, an additional wing was added to provide space for a new media center and a fifth-grade classroom wing. In 2014, Montevallo Elementary received major renovations to the building including a beautiful and more secure entrance.