Helena Elementary School is located in Shelby County, Alabama and serves 800+ kindergarten - second grade students.
The mission of Helena Elementary School is to enable each child, each day to achieve his or her greatest learning potential in a challenging, nurturing environment.
To become a model for excellence in early childhood education.
- Student learning is the chief priority of our school and that all children can learn.
- Each student is a valued individual with unique physical, social, emotional and intellectual needs.
- Students need to demonstrate their understanding of essential knowledge and skills as well as be actively involved in solving problems and producing quality work that is both relevant and meaningful.
- Students learn best when they are actively engaged in challenging, nurturing environments.
- Curriculum and instructional practices should be research-based and incorporate a variety of learning activities to accommodate student differences.
- Assessments of student learning, including self-assessment, should provide students with opportunities to demonstrate their achievement of the expectations for their learning.
- A safe environment in which there is mutual respect fosters positive self-esteem and promotes student learning.
- It is the shared responsibility of the school, parents and community to educate and support each other.
- The commitment to continuous improvement is essential in enabling students to become confident, self-directed, lifelong learners in an ever-changing world.