About Helena Elementary
Helena Elementary School is located in Shelby County, Alabama. The city of Helena is approximately 30 miles south of Birmingham. The present site is the former home of Helena Junior High School which was opened in 1925. The building has undergone multiple additions and renovations in the past 87 years.
With 800+ students and 87 faculty and staff members, Helena Elementary is one of the largest elementary schools in the district.
The mission of Helena Elementary School is to enable each child, each day to achieve his or her greatest learning potential in a challenging, nurturing environment.
To become a model for excellence in early childhood education.
- Student learning is the chief priority of our school and that all children can learn.
- Each student is a valued individual with unique physical, social, emotional and intellectual needs.
- Students need to demonstrate their understanding of essential knowledge and skills as well as be actively involved in solving problems and producing quality work that is both relevant and meaningful.
- Students learn best when they are actively engaged in challenging, nurturing environments.
- Curriculum and instructional practices should be research-based and incorporate a variety of learning activities to accommodate student differences.
- Assessments of student learning, including self-assessment, should provide students with opportunities to demonstrate their achievement of the expectations for their learning.
- A safe environment in which there is mutual respect fosters positive self-esteem and promotes student learning.
- It is the shared responsibility of the school, parents and community to educate and support each other.
- The commitment to continuous improvement is essential in enabling students to become confident, self-directed, lifelong learners in an ever-changing world.