Pre-Approved Absences Form
2017-18 School Supply Lists
CPES Bus Stops
Helping Children Learn Parent Newsletter
Sizzling Summer Reading Initiative
In an effort to support your child’s literacy development and encourage a life-long
interest in reading, we are excited to announce our Sizzling Summer Reading Initiative.
Research has shown that students who read during the summer maintain the gains that they
made during the school year. Elementary students should be reading with stamina, exploring
all genre of literature, and reading “just right” books. In helping your child select a book
that is “just right”, we recommend that he/she takes time to preview the book, consider the
topic, and to read the first page or two to determine if it is one that they can and will enjoy.
Allowing students to select their own books is a powerful way to improve their ability to
comprehend reading material and to promote their interest in reading. With all this in mind,
we encourage you and your child to read enthusiastically throughout the summer as a part of
our Sizzling Summer Reading Initiative.
Here’s how the CPES Sizzling Summer Reading Initiative works:
- Read, read, read!
- When your child finishes a book, have him/her write down the title, author, number of pages, and “rate” the book on how well he/she liked it on the summer reading log (copy attached).
- As the beginning of school approaches, have your child revisit his/her log and choose a favorite book that he/she would love to share with his/her classmates. Have him/her complete the reading response page (copy attached), using his/her very best handwriting and sentence structure.
- Have your child return both the reading log and the reading response page to his/her teacher on the first day of school.
Here are the rewards of the CPES Sizzling Summer Reading Initiative:
- Every child that returns his/her reading log will receive a certificate of participation.
- Every child that returns his/her reading response page will have the exciting opportunity to share his/her book with his/her classmates through a book extension activity that each teacher has planned.
- Every child that returns his/her reading response page will have his/her name put into a weekly drawing for a special reading prize and his/her picture proudly displayed on the Sizzling Summer Reading Initiative Wall of Fame.
- Each child’s reading response page will be bound in a special binder and kept in the Library to inspire other students to try new books and genres.
- We will graph the total number of pages read per grade level to see which grade level read the most.