Federal Programs

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act defines a homeless individual as one who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. Shelby County Schools’ McKinney Grant funds are used to provide services to homeless children and youth to facilitate enrollment, retention, and educational success.

  • If your family lives in any of the following situations, you may be considered homeless:
    • In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground
    • On the street
    • In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations, or
    • Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing.

To find out if your child qualifies for homeless services, please speak to your school guidance counselor, or call Federal Programs at 205-682-7072.

  • If your child is considered eligible for the homeless program, he/she has the right to:
    • Access to the same public education as other children
    • Continue in the school they attended before becoming homeless, if feasible. If a school sends your child to a school other than the one you request, the school must provide you with a written explanation and offer you the right to appeal the decision. Transportation would be provided if needed to the school of origin.
    • Participate in all programs and activities with students that are not homeless.
    • Enroll immediately in school. The school will work with parents to obtain necessary records.

  • Services are provided to students that qualify for the homeless program. Services include, but are not limited to:
    • Tutoring
    • Extended-day stipends
    • School supplies
    • Payment of class fees/dues
    • Payment of field trips
    • Clothing
    • Personal hygiene items
    • Referral for medical, dental, counseling, etc. through access to Shelby County Needy School Children's Fund
    • Free school breakfast/lunch
    • Counseling for issues related to domestic violence

If you would like more information concerning the homeless program in Shelby County, please contact Federal Programs at 682-7072.